From DA PAM 623-3, pg. 46:
b. Bullet comments. Bullet comments are mandatory regardless of the ratings given (at least one bullet will be entered in each block of a through f). Standardized rules apply to bullet comments on DA Form 2166–8. Bullet comments will—
- Be short, concise, to the point. Bullets will not be longer than two lines, preferably one; and no more than one bullet to a line.
- Start with action words (verbs) or possessive pronouns (“his” or “her”); personal pronouns (“he” or “she”) may be used; use past tense when addressing how the NCO performed and his or her contributions made during the rating period.
- Be double-spaced between bullets.
- Be preceded by a small letter “o” to designate the start of the comment. Each bullet comment must start with a small letter unless it’s a proper noun (name) that is usually capitalized.
- Support the box checks by rating officials.
- A specific example can be used only once; therefore, the rater must decide under which responsibility the bullet fits best (or is most applicable).
Other Notes (these may be unit specific and may not apply to all BNs; check your local CSM guidance to be sure):
- Do not copy bullets from year to year.
- Do not use Soldier’s name in the bullet, but DO use other’s names if applicable: “recognized by MG Smith, Commander 1 ID, for excellence”
- Numbers; 1-10, write them out (e.g. one, two, ten). 11 or higher, write the number; e.g. 11, 15, 105. Exception, when a 1-10 is WITH an 11 or higher; e.g. “5 tool kits with 20 tools each.”
- NO PERIODS at the end of the bullets
- Fashion the bullet to the Soldier; double check use of “he/his” vs. “she/hers.”
- School/Course Comments: Bullets about how a Soldier did in a school or course are ONLY allowed if that school did not produce an AER/DA Form 1059.
- Awards: Awards and/or special recognition received during the rating period may be cited in evaluation comments (for example, “received the Humanitarian Service Medal” or “named the NCO of the Year”).
NEGATIVE COMMENTS: (see sections)
- References CAN be made to the following (if verified) in Part IV, V or any NCOER Enclosure
- DO NOT put a negative comment unless it has been verified and there is counseling to back it up (except in the rarest circumstances).
- Senior rater may recommend/request discharge, separation or QMP
- Violated AR 600-20 (fraternization or similar regulatory noncompliance)
- Dropped from the rolls
- Criminal incident – Fraud – Desertion
- Tested positive on urinalysis – Apprehended – Incarcerated
- Cited for or received a DUI – AWOL – Arrested
- References CANNOT be made to the following in Part IV, V or in any NCOER Enclosures:
– Anything pending (might want to hold off and do an extended annual)
– Letter of Reprimand – Letter of admonishment – Flagged
– Court martial – Reduction – Civil Trial
– Reenlistment or letter of declination (same as bar)
– Article 15 (but you can include what the ART 15 was for, e.g. AWOL, negligence, etc.)
-Not meeting UNIT APFT standards